LONDON — Queen Elizabeth’s 97-year-old husband Prince Philip has voluntarily given up his driving licence after a crash last month, Buckingham Palace said on Saturday.
Philip escaped without injury on Jan 17 when the Land Rover he was driving flippe
d in a collision with a car close to the royals’ Sandringham residence in eastern England.
“After careful consideration The Duke of Edinburgh has taken the decision to volun
tarily surrender his driving licence,” the royal palace said in a statement.
The other driver, a 28-year-old woman, suffered cuts to her knee and a 45-year-old wo
man passenger in the car, which also had a nine-month-old baby on board, sustained a broken wrist.
Witnesses said Philip pulled into a main road from a drive.
Philip, who suggested low sun had affected his sight for the crash, also re
ceived a warning from police for driving without a seatbelt two days after the crash.
Philip retired from public life in 2017, although he still occasionally appears with his 92-year-old wife at official events.
There is no legal age in Britain to stop driving, but drivers over 70 must renew their licences every three years.